Arch Bar & Wire Removal
Here is our best advice on how to recover following arch bar and wire removal:
- Use an over-the-counter medication such as Tylenol for the soreness in your gum tissue following the removal of wires. The wires that were used to hold the arch bars in place to set your broken jaw tend to irritate the gum and accumulate food and bacteria.
- Brush your teeth and expect some bleeding from the irritated gum.
- Use dental floss between the teeth.
- Call and schedule a professional cleaning of your teeth with your general dentist. If you do not have a general dentist, then ask for a recommendation from us. Dental infections and decay can occur without regular dental care.
- Please inform us if there is an increase in pain or swelling in the areas of the fractures or if you start to have difficulty moving your jaw or pain while eating.